Hofbräuhaus (Royal Brewery)
Hofbräuhaus (Royal Brewery)
At the square Platzl in the centre of Munich the Royal Brewery, Hofbräuhaus is situated – the most famous brewery in the world and the epitome of Bavarian warmth and friendliness, called “Gemütlichkeit”. Today the Hofbräuhaus is an attraction for people from all over the world. Hofbräuhaus is the place where one drinks the beer that is brewed in Munich and where people dance to traditional Bavarian music. The beer garden outside the Hofbräuhaus is a recommended location among Munich locals, too.
The Hofbräuhaus in Munich inspired the song "oans, zwoa, g´suffa" (The Bavarian dialect for: "one, two, down the hatch"). The song was written by a composer from Berlin, Wiga Gabriel. In 1936 the song became a hit and found its way to Munich. Several hundreds of people have until today their own lifelong place in the “stein safe” (Maßkrug-Tresor). Many round table meetings take place at Hofbräuhaus. The people who meet usually have more in common than drinking beer.
The history of the Hofbräuhaus
The Hofbräuhaus was founded in 1589 by Wilhelm V, Duke of Bavaria (1579-1597) to provide enough beer for all people working in the royal household. The Hofbräuhaus went into operation at the “Alter Hof” (Old Court). It was called the “brown” Hofbräuhaus as only brown ale was brewed there. Even at that time the beer was brewed according to the Munich Beer Purity Law from 1487 that stated that only natural ingredients, like barley, hops and water could be used in the brewing process.
Already in 1607 the Old Court was too small and the Hofbräuhaus including the brewery were moved to its new home, the square Platzl where it remained until today. A new building was built where now the brown ale and the wheat beer, too, were brewed and served.
Over the centuries citizens and visitors of Munich, too, could buy the beer which originally was brewed only for the people working in the royal household. In 1852 the state of Bavaria became the owner of the Hofbräuhaus and remained it until today. In 1896 the brewery was moved to the borough Haidhausen, but the pub where the beer is served remained at the Platzl.
During the Second World War and especially from 1944 until 1945 the Hofbräuhaus was nearly destroyed. Only a small part of the big pub was operating. The reconstruction of Hofbräuhaus was only finished in 1958, just in time for the 800 year anniversary.
In 1607 a building was constructed only for the Hofbräuhaus. Over the years reconstruction works became necessary. The architect Max Littmann created in 1896 a big ballroom with a restaurant area when the brewery was moved away from the Platzl. At that time Hofbräuhaus became a modern restaurant and catering business. After the Second World War when the Hofbräuhaus was rebuilt the original structure of the building was kept. In 1965 the Hofbräuhaus had the world’s longest stove which was about 10 meters long.