Feldherrnhalle (Field Marshals’ Hall)

Put on the notepad

Feldherrnhalle (Field Marshals’ Hall)

The Feldherrnhalle is situated at the southern end of Ludwigstraße. It was built from 1841 to 1844 by Friedrich Gärtner after the example of the Loggia dei Lanzi in Florence. In 1923 Adolf Hilter failed an attempted coup at Feldherrnhalle. This is when it became a cult sight for the National Socialist in Munich.

After Hilter came into power people had to do the Nazi salute to the guard of honour every time they passed at Feldherrnhalle. That is why the small alley behind Feldherrnhalle, Viscardigasse was called “coward lane”. The two statues are in remembrance of the two military leaders Johann Tilly and Karl Philipp von Wrede. Only in 1906 the two Lions by Wihelm von Rümann where added.

* Photo: Josef Maiwald [FAV Exclusive], SmarterLife.de



* 1) Photo: Josef Maiwald [FAV Exclusive], SmarterLife.de

* 2) Photo: By Schlaier (Own work) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

* 3) Photo: Josef Maiwald [FAV Exclusive], SmarterLife.de

Manage Notepads
To end of the page To the top of the page