Put on the notepad
80539 München


It starts at Max-Josphsplatz and is the extension of the small road Perusastraße. Maximilianstraße is crossing Karl-Scharnagel-Ring (a part of the inner ring road) circling Maxmonument and is running up to the Isar bridge Maximiliansbrücke. On the right side of the river Isar the palatial building Maximilianeum is situated. It houses the Bavarian Landtag (state parliament) with a wonderful view over Maximilianstraße which is one of the four royal avenues in Munich, next to Briennerstraße, Ludwigstraße and Prinzregentenstraße.

Today the first part of Maximilianstraße up to Karl-Scharnagel-Ring is the number one shopping street in Munich. The who’s who of famous shops keeps branches in the Maximilianstraße.

The history of the street

In 1852 the architects Bürklein, Gottgetreu, Riedel, Voit and Ziebland invented a new architectural style for the facades of Maximilimanstraße. The intention was to combine the best features of historical models with then modern building technology and to represent beauty, convenience, simplicity and nationality. Some of the rooftops show the Bavarian architectural style and there is a strong neo-Gothic influence.

Important buildings

On number 17 is Munich´s foremost five-star hotel, the Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten (Kempinski). While still being built (1856-1857) the facade was changed and the building became a hotel. The pillars of the building show the four seasons. In the gable are the busts of the hotel keeper the couple Schimon and allegories of the four continents.

Since 1926 there is a theatre in number 26/28, the Kammerspiele that was before in Augustenstraße. The official name of Kammerspiele is „Münchner Kammerspiele im Schauspielhaus". The building was constructed by Littmann and designed by Richard Riemerschmid 1900-1901 with modern stage technology.

Number 42 houses the the Museum Five Continents, the former Museum of Ethnology.

Manage Notepads
To end of the page To the top of the page